The Expertise centre for Digital Media (EDM, www.edm.uhasselt. be) is a research institute of Hasselt University in Belgium. The research team of about 80 people performs scientific research in 3 areas: computer graphics, human-computer interaction and multimedia & communication technology. Hasselt University calls for candidates for the following vacant position (m/f) in EDM:
PhD Scholarship in computer science (2 x 2 jaar)
(mandate WNI/2007/014- HO)
The intended research is situated in the domains of networked virtual environments (NVE) and human-computer interaction (HCI). More specifically, synchronization in scalable networked virtual environments is studied, supporting simulation-based interaction. The investigated synchronization techniques enhance consistency of the status of the virtual environment as presented to all users. Heterogeneous environments (different platforms, I/O devices etc.) are taken into account. Besides synchronization techniques, interaction techniques and the flexibility in their realization play an important role in the envisioned research. Usable multimodal interaction metaphors are designed for individuals as well as groups of users. A division of the users in subgroups is considered for both simulation and interaction between several users in order to enhance performance and social interaction. Further details of the PhD research topics will be
determined based on the background and interest of the PhD candidate.
Academic license (4 years), master (5 years) or equivalent diploma in computer science. Students who will complete their studies during the summer, are strongly invited to apply
* Content job responsibilities:
* Prof. dr. Karin Coninx +32-11-26 84 11, karin.coninx@ uhasselt. be
* Prof. dr. Kris Luyten +32-11-26 84 11, kris.luyten@ uhasselt. be
* Content terms of employment and selection procedure: Jef Vanvoorden, 011-26 80 80, jef.vanvoorden@ uhasselt. be
Applicants must use the official application forms
* which are available at the Rectoraat of Hasselt University, Campus Diepenbeek, Agoralaan – building D, B-3590 Diepenbeek (Belgium), phone +32 – 11 – 26 80 03
* or which can be downloaded here http://www.uhasselt .be/download/ APengelsUH. doc
The completed application forms must reach the above mentioned address no later than Friday, August 1st 2008.
Application by e-mail will only be taken into consideration when sent to the following address: jobs@uhasselt. be