What is Special Scholarship Program (SSP)?
Special Scholarship Program (SSP) was established in 2003 in order to support the advanced research of the university by enlisting the help of highly capable international students. Every year in April and October, the university enrolls selected foreign doctoral students under specific research projects. The students pursue the doctoral course in English while at the same time assisting their host professor as a research assistant (RA). Through this program KUT wishes to expand and deepen international ties with academic and educational institutions all over the world. ?¨Message from SSP students
?¨Undergoing SSP Project
?¨Thesis of Graduated SSP Students
We do not have any brochure for International Applicants. You can find all necessary information and download application form from the following application guideline.
1. PROGRAM OF STUDY
Course for International Students
Doctoral Program (3 years)
Department of Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering
2. NUMBER OF STUDENTS TO BE ADMITTED
20 students per year
3. ENROLLMENT TIME
4. SCHOLARSHIP TERM
*The term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the scholarship for any of the reasons stated below in the paragraph 12, Termination of Scholarship
(1) Scholarship recipient must work as a research assistant under the specific research project.
*However, the total paid working time per week, including research assistant work, should not exceed 28 hours.
(2) Scholarship recipient must report his/her study and research achievements to the dean of the graduate school of engineering at the end of each semester. The submitted reports will be evaluated.
(1) Receive up to 1,200, 000 yen per year for working as a research assistant.
(2) Exemption from 300,000 yen enrollment fee, 940,000 yen (per year) tuition fee, 150,000 yen (per year) fee for facilities improvement and 150,000yen (per year) cost of experiments and laboratory work.
(3) Receive 200,000 yen for travel and initial living costs (given only to applicants who are living outside Japan at the time of application)
7. ELIGIBILITY?@ Applicants are required to meet all of the following conditions
(1) To have or to be expected to acquire a master’s degree before enrollment.
(2) To have intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work as a research assistant under the one of research projects listed here
(3) To have an excellent academic record
(4) To have a high English proficiency
(5) To be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment
(6) To have other than Japanese nationality
8. APPLICATION PROCESS
(1) Choose the research project from?@the SSP Research Project List
for October 2008 & April 2009 Enrollment.
(2) Complete and submit all required documents.
*Please refer to?@the List for SSP Application Documents
9. ADMISSION SCHEDULE
April & October 2009
September 30, 2008
March 31, 2009
10. ADMISSION DECISION
The applicant will be notified of the admission decision by express mail within 3 months after the deadline of the application.
11. SPECIAL NOTICE
(1) If you are still working towards your master’s degree, a verified original master’s degree certificate in English from your university will be required before your enrollment can be complete. If you are not able to produce such a document, you will not be enrolled.
(2) If SSP scholarship recipient is selected as a recipient of another institution’ s scholarship, his/her monthly pay for working as a research assistant will be adjusted.
12. TERMINATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
Scholarships will be terminated in the following cases
(1) If the scholarship recipient takes time off from school
(2) If a report submitted in accordance with term 5 (2) is considered inadequate for a scholarship recipient.
(3) If the university considers the scholarship recipient’s behavior inappropriate for a scholarship recipient.
13. OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE:
All inquiries and application documents must be addressed to:
International Relations Center
Kochi University of Technology
Tosayamada. Kochi. 782-8502. Japan
Tel: +81 887 53 1130
Fax: +81 887 57 2000
E-mail:international@ ml.kochi- tech.ac.jp