Position Title : Environment Specialist (Code = Env-Spec)
Supervisor : Environment Program Coordinator and Sustainable Development Sector Manager
Sector : Sustainable Development
Status : Term
Grade : GF
The Sustainable Development (EASIS) at the East Asia and (EAP) Region of the is supporting client countries in the region to address their environmental and social development priorities and support sustainable development. EASIS is also responsible to ensure that projects and programs supported by the comply with the Bank’s environmental and social (safeguard) policies.
The Bank’s Indonesia program has a significant portfolio of lending and non-lending operations with environmental objectives or implications. This portfolio includes analytical work and policy dialogue on environmental policy and institutional issues, as well as projects in the urban, rural, transport, energy, and other sectors, and a growing portfolio of carbon finance projects. In order to support this program, and in line with the
The Environmental Specialist will provide task teams and ’s clients with advice and guidance on the application of the ’s safeguard policies, including those governing environmental assessment and management. In addition, the Environmental Specialist will participate in or manage analytical work, technical assistance, and dialogue on environmental management and policy issues with government counterparts and development partners.
Working as an integral part of project teams, the Environment Specialist will provide technical support to projects managed by several sector units to ensure that environmental issues are properly addressed, in compliance with the Bank’s safeguard policies during project design, implementation and supervision. As a member of project teams, the Environmental Specialist will work closely with task team leaders; participate in safeguard review meetings organized by the EAP Safeguard Secretariat; and provide feedback and reviews of Bank projects and their compliance with Bank policies for the Safeguard Secretariat as requested.
Specific tasks will therefore include, but are not limited to:
* As part of project teams, participate in project preparation activities and provide necessary guidance to the task team and counterparts on the necessary actions and studies needed to fully address environmental issues, ensuring the effective implementation of the
* As part of project teams, participate in the supervision of project implementation to assess performance against project objectives and agreed environmental management actions, and to assess compliance with the Bank’s safeguard policies;
* Maintain a database to track the safeguard support requirements (staff, staff-weeks and dates needed) of each World Bank project over a six-month time horizon and update the database on a monthly basis;
* Participate in the ’s dialogue with government and civil society on environmental issues, undertake analysis, and develop support necessary to enhance the management of priority environmental concerns, particularly for the control of urban and industrial environmental impacts, and to improve the sustainability of natural resource use—this could include client training, participation in safeguards thematic reviews and other analytical work.
* Undertake EASIS-managed tasks, including the management of lending and non-lending environmental projects and/or carbon finance operations.
* Advanced degree in engineering, sciences, economics, environmental policy or a related field, with extensive experience in preparing environmental assessments, environmental management plans and related assessment, particularly in the context of developmental objectives with a poverty-focused outcome;
* A minimum of five years of relevant experience including work on environmental impact assessment, environmental policy and/or environmental management in ;
* Extensive field-based experience, including the carrying out consultations and working with international organizations/ donor agencies;
* Ability to work across sectors and to think about issues in terms of outcomes, not just in terms of impact and impact mitigation;
* Familiarity with the ’s operational policies and procedures as they relate to the environmental aspects of the ’s work would be useful;
* Good diplomatic and analytical skills, with ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and an inter-disciplinary team;
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Indonesian with appropriate level of office information technology skills;
* Willingness to travel frequently in .
The Environmental Specialist will work under the guidance of the Environment Program Coordinator and report to the EASIS Sector Manager in Jakarta Office. He/she will work closely with the and Washington-based environment team, as well as task team leaders (TTLs) in other sector units. For safeguard policy related matters, he/she will also coordinate with and receive guidance from the EAP Safeguard Coordinator based in . He/she will work according to an annual work program adjusted periodically as necessary.
Applicant shall submit written application including cover letter, CV, and references (at least three names with full contact details) in an envelope and indicate the position code on the right top corner of the envelope.
Application should be submitted no later thanto:
Human Resources Unit
The World Bank Office Jakarta
Indonesia Stock Exchange (BEI) Building, Tower 2, 13 th Floor
Jl. Jenderal Sudirman Kav. 52-53, 12190.
Application will be treated strictly confidential and only short-listed candidates will receive responses. Late submissions will not be considered; incoming applications through e-mail and phone inquiries will not be accepted.